How you behave at the bus stop is just as important as how you act on the bus. Possibly even more. Did you know that most accidents happen at the bus stop before the bus arrives or after it pulls away?
Our Bus Safety for Students brochure is full of useful tips for keeping yourself and others safe around buses.
Remember that younger kids look up to you, so please lead by example so they learn to behave safely.
Some Do’s and Don’ts for bus travel
- Do stand well back from the kerb at the bus stop, and wait until the bus has completely stopped.
- Don’t rush or push others when the bus arrives.
- Do wait until the bus moves away before crossing the road.
- Don’t cross the road in front of the bus or between parked cars.
- Do sit down quietly and quickly. If there are no seats move to the back of the bus and use the handgrips on the side of the seat or overhead.
- Don’t distract the driver or annoy others on board the bus.
Download School Bus Safety for Students.
Most schools have a code of conduct for bus behaviour, you can ask for a copy to see what your obligations are.